Thursday, December 9, 2010

Death Row Dogs = Cell Dogs

Hi y’all,

It’s Thursday again and I was helping my Human to search for a special needs dog to feature.  Instead I let my Human get me sidetracked when we stumbled across this fellow.

  This fellow is a “cell dog”  graduate... which means he has literally been to prison and was housetrained, crate trained, socialized and taught basic obedience skills...He is waiting for a forever home where he can continue his training and be part of a family.

Most Humans know about cell dogs.  If you don’t know about “cell dogs” or would like to read more, check out this link to this shelter’s success stories.

We also found another site that tells more about the way that prisoners help the dogs to succeed in getting adopted and the dogs, in turn, help to rehabilitate the prisoners. 

Since this is supposed to be a happy time of year I wanted to share this site showing all the adopted dogs that were once “cell dogs”.  Another successful “cell dogs” program is the Humane Society of Burke County, located in Morganton, N.C.  Then I stumbled on the “death row dogs” in Kansas. 

The last program I looked at was prisoners training dogs for wounded Marines. 

These are such great programs…and when my Humans found me they were looking for a dog that could “do stuff” with them and…the “biggy”…was housebroken.  My Human Momma told me she just didn’t want to deal with a really young puppy anymore.  

For the sake of all the less lucky pawed critters looking for a forever home, my wish is for more “cell dog” programs.  Maybe someday all shelters will be able to put their abandoned  dogs through just such a program.  Seems to me, a lowly pawed and furred one, that it can only be a “win, win”. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good....I just wish everyone had loving forever homes like us....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful program that we all need to publicise more. What a wonderful way to rescue a needy dog, train it and them it can find a wonderful home.

    Mogley G. Retriever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these programs. I think there is a lot of good done for all involved

    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete