Friday, September 2, 2011

Everything You Were Afraid to Ask

Hi Y’all,

Not many questions lately, but a few things I need to clear up.

First, I want to thank Penny, the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star (here) for reminding us that the Canadian Thanksgiving is the first Monday in October.

My Humans, who lived in Canada for a couple of years, before my time, think the timing of Canada’s Thanksgiving is much better than ours. For one think, it is a Monday, so it means a long weekend to do stuff. Many of people in the U.S. have to work the Friday after our Thursday Thanksgiving…thus no opportunity for many to turn it into a family time.

The other thing they loved about the timing of the Canadian Thanksgiving is the weather. It’s still nice autumn with beautiful color, at least in the eastern part of the country. I’m sure there are many remote locations that are welcoming winter.

(On the left is a pic of the weather last Thanksgiving)



Here in the U.S. a large part of the country is already battling winter and the dreaded snow.

A walk in the yard on Thanksgiving morn.On the right is a pic of our Thanksgiving at the shore two years ago. It looked more like the Canadian Thanksgiving they experienced.

Now, my Humans said they liked to celebrate both Holidays. They enjoyed celebrating Canada’s Thanksgiving ‘cause they were in Canada. That did not make them pass on their native Holiday. After all, it was the Human’s native Holiday.

Now, I’m thinkin’ maybe we could get two Holidays here in the states? Or at least the Humans could celebrate both?

Jon Farleigh and Dewi (here) were worried about this little guy, who was at the family gathering (Strangers Sighted posted August 24th) having a home. Let me just assure everyone he belongs to a human family member and has an older, fatter, pawed brother who was not present this year.

Join me tomorrow for how to drive your humans’ crazy! Just in case the need arises. You could even get revenge if they don’t include you this weekend!

Hope y’all have a great celebration of the “end of summer”.

Y’all come back now!



6 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo, 2 Thanksgivings! We are all for that. More food, more family, more fun...Bring it on and pass me a drumstick!

    Wyatt and Stanzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    Yes, tis I, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star. Thanks for pointing out the Canadian Thanksgiving, which has some advantages. My human says he really misses pumpkin pie.
    I think it would be a marvellous idea if your humans celebrated both Thanksgiving days. I reckon there could be a bit of an extra treat for you in it :)
    Now then, as my Canadian human would say, 'see ya later eh!'
    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, Penny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish THANKSGIVING was every month.... so I could eat TURKEY!!!! *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like the timing of US Thanksgiving because usually we go up to the cabin since it is deer hunting season. We can't go in the woods at that time, but we still like to be there.

    It won't be long before we have Fall colors...Fall colors mean hunting to us!

    the 2 brown dawgs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hawk, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this post! I did not know about Canadian Thanksgiving and I'm now going to start celebrating it!

    I've had a hard time with Thanksgiving here recently. Daley became ill on Thanksgiving in 2009 and passed away a couple of days later. Because of the holiday activities and some travel, I worried that I hadn't watched his health closely enough. I know we all second guess ourselves in those kind of situations but I really haven't felt the same way about Thanksgiving since.

    I think it will be great fun to celebrate on a different date (and I do love the Monday aspect!) and maybe it will help me, in a way, get past my sadness around the holiday. Thanks, Hawk!

    -Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I could do Thanksgiving twice a year (love that holiday that sometimes gets overshadowed here in the states). :)

    Thanks for clearing up the question about the little cattle dog. :) He must be super well-behaved! :)

    ReplyDelete