Friday, May 24, 2013

Follow Up on My Week

 

Hi Y’all!

 

P1200526

Time to join Heart Like a Dog for Follow Up Friday Blog Hop and wind up my week by answering your questions.

First Sue Kottwitz asks if I’m not always off on some adventure. 

P1200980

Sometimes adventure comes to me…

Molly the Wally mentioned she’s never seen a cottonwood tree before…if you missed Stranger than Strange…

P1200881

Is it snowing?

P1210189

No, it’s cotton on water.

 

P1210175

Sophie wanted to know if this was a first…the mallards and geese sharing the grassy areas…

 

P1200822

While the various grass eaters tend to eat in the same areas and seemingly ignore each other, for the most part the two are segregated. 

P1200502

We frequently see ducks and geese grazing in or swimming in the same areas.  However, we also see the fisherman, egrets and herons sharing the same wetland areas.  The ducks and geese are eating the tender shoots in the shallow waters.  The wading birds are eating the smaller tender young fish that are seen in schools in the same shallow waters where they can try to hide in the grasses.

P1200516

Oh, and here is another banded bird that visited in early March.

P1190558

Then, in the Monday Mischief post, I asked if y’all recognized this scene…

P1200901

Molly, Goose and Slim Doggy all recognized that I’m in flooding waters…

Below I am in the same area before the waters rise.

 

P1200461

 

A while back I answered the question about this area.  Feeding the lake are 3 major rivers originating on this side of the Eastern Continental Divide to the north and west.  Where we are is a minor river that feeds into the same lake. The rivers were all damned.  Despite the damn we can still get in our boat here and go to the inland waterway on the Atlantic Ocean.

P1210032

We have been in severe drought for the last 5 years.  This year the early summer rains have returned to their normal pattern. During normal years it is normal for the waters to flood this time of year, sometimes much earlier. 

Flea asked if I got in a pirogue and went in search of gators and cotton mouths.  (also link here)

P1200903

My Human lets me wade to cool off, but swimming is a no no now.  I’m only allowed to wade where my Human can clearly see the bottom to be sure nothing is lurking.  Neighbors called the other day to tell us that a 12 foot gator and a 9 foot gator had been laying around their pier on the sand.  The DNR were alerted and will kill them when they are spotted.  We have spread sulphur all around the edges of the water and around the house and gardens to keep snakes at bay. 

Marcie at Paws It On, the 2browndawgs, Oskar and Sage visited Guess What I see on Wordless Wednesday and asked if it was a squirrel…

P1200916

P1200918

I see an empty yard just before sun up and the birds aren’t working yet!  Lazy birds!  I’ve already been on my pre-dawn walk and the only birds stirring then were the herons with their hoarse croaking call.  At sun up when I go out for my second walk the world will be alive with bird songs. 

Oz asked if I enjoy the way the landscape changes as the seasons change.

P1190299

Oh yes Oz…the seasons are part of the spice of life…my favorites are spring and fall…the two most colorful times!

Now I must be off!

Y’all come back now!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. That was a great follow up Friday, Hawk! We enjoyed reading it. Your life sounds much more interesting than ours. But the gators must be scary! It's a good thing your human is careful with you going into the water and it's even better that you listen! Your baby gosling are much bigger than ours. I don't think some of the nests have hatched yet. Also, that neck band on the Canadian goose does NOT look comfortable.

    Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes the gaors scare us and the snakes. My peeps would run a mile. Have a fabulous Friday Hawk.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cotton on the water is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We missed most of your posts this week so this was a good way to catch up. Wo1 on that cotton water. Golden Woofs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like Sugar, Momz & I missed most of the last week so I'm so happy to see your post today and catch up on all that's been going on in your world...Once again the photographs are stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Follow Up, Lovely pictures. I love alligators and got to go hunt them a couple years ago. One of my best hunting trips. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic FUF post! It really does seem like you are always off on some sort of adventure. Love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those gators and cottonmouths are worrisome. I'm glad you have some methods to keep the snakes away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice follow-up Hawk, thanks for joining the hop.

    So snakes are a big threat where you are? Hmmm, I'm rethinking my NC move. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Q&A. Not a fan of snakes or gators. Glad your people keep you safe from them.

    ReplyDelete