Friday, December 12, 2014

Fun Friday! Another Week Closer to Christmas!

 

 

Hi Y’all!

 

P1300347

 

Today my post is brought to you by Slim Doggy, Emma from MyGBGV Life and To Dog With Love in Fit Dog Friday blog hop!

P1300242

Yesterday, Storm and Thunder of 2browndawgs did a post on recall.  It started me thinkin’ about how much time my Human spends with me practicing recall. 

 

P1300225

I've gotten so good at it that I answer to several different commands...

P1300436

People who hunt retrievers usually have good recall.  Notice I said usually.  People with pets...well...Some people don't even bother to take their dogs to school!  Could you imagine keepin' your kid at home and not takin' him to school or at least joining a home school program? 

P1300433

(The snow photos are from the Thanksgiving 2013 snow)

The basics and whistle sit and come commands are covered in Training notes and Training Continued (tabbed above).

 

P1300432

In the snow photos I’m responding to “bring”. 

 

P1300390

 

Above I’ve stopped on a verbal command and I’m waiting to see what the signal will be…My Human will signal with a hand/arm movement which direction we’re going or if she wants me to “come”. 

 

P1460379

 

If I get too far in front, she’ll call me with a whistle or send an audible signal to my collar. 

 

P1460595

 

Sometimes she calls “back this way”.  That means turn back toward her, but I can snoop and sniff.  In other words, not a “full” recall.

 

P1450560

“Far enough” is self explanatory.

 

P1460269

 

P1460588

“Here” means come to heel and sit. 

P1450884

Of course, there is “come”…I learned it in beginning and advanced obedience.  I present myself directly in front of my Human.

 P1450637

“Come” usually means “goodies”!  Yum!

 

P1450640

 

All verbal, whistle or collar signals are accompanied by a visible hand signal as soon as I’m looking at my Human. 

 

P1450641

 

Hand signals help us learn verbal.  I suggest giving a hand signal with your pup at the same time you give the verbal.  Later in life they make it easier to understand what you want. 

 

P1450643

Remember, we dogs communicate mostly with body language.  It’s the easiest thing for us to learn about you.  But more on that next week. 

P1450646

 

 I’m also joining the Pet Parade Blog Hop hosted by Rascal and Rocco and co-hosted by Jan's Funny Farm, Basil the Bionic Cat, Barking from the Bayou, and Love is being Owned by a Husky!

 

P1450645

 

Finally, it’s the second Friday of the month, so I’m linking to (This Moment) See Beautiful blog hop hosted by Sugar the Golden Retriever.

So let me leave you with these restful scenes from my morning walk.

 

P1460623

Have a wonderful weekend!

 

P1460624

 

Y’all come on back!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

17 comments:

  1. My recall is OK until I see squirrels and then well forget. Look forward to the body language post. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do a great recall in the yard or in the house, but can't be trusted outside our fenced yard. It is just our nature to hunt and chase critters. Katie goes off leash real well, and Mom's last dog did too, but not Bailie and I. Yes, if Mom really worked hard for a long time, we might cooperate even with a wabbit in sight, but we are satisfied with things the way they are. You are quite impressive, but your breed likes to work for the humans which helps, we are a more independent thinking breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL most Chessies are extremely independent Emma. I would say a personality more like a cat than a Labrador.

      Delete
    2. Hi Y'all!

      You've got that right! That's why WE are such GREAT hunting companions! We can THINK for ourselves and find the mark even if you humans don't know where it is!

      Y'all come back,
      Hawk aka BrownDog

      Delete
  3. my mom said "come" is the command I have to follow without ifs and buts, I agreed and my recall works. sadly not always when she uses just hand signs, but I immediately react on a verbal recall . so my whole kraal knows that Easy has to come home :o)
    Easy Rider

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on those recalls Hawk. You are such a good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I (Fenris) went to obedience classes when I was a puppy. I was the youngest dog in the class but I was also one of the biggest. I had a good time and learned a lot. Tuiren hasn't been to puppy school, but me and Mommy work together to teach her stuffs. She was already an adult when she came to live with us and didn't like other doggies. But now she does pawesome around other dogs and she has even learned to come when called.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your lessons with us Hawk...that's interesting that you respond to several different commands...the important thing is to respond!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think our fur kids play truant on school days.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post! A a brilliant array of commands! I am impressed! I'll have to encourage my humans to be more consistent with their hand signals; seems like they try this but don't do it all the time... so I get confused sometimes.

    Lovely photos at the end, too! *wags*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're having a ton of fun while learning, too! Beautiful pic! Thanks for sharing on the Pet Parade ~ ~Rascal and Rocco

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT A GREAT POST AND SO MUCH BEAUTY...WE ENJOY EACH MOMENT
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a good boy and well training and amen to people not taking their dogs to school, they all need to go to school. Beautiful see beauty moments. Have a wonderful weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so right about hand signals and body language. Rocco responds to my position or hand signals more than anything. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post on the importance of both verbal commands & hand signals, as well as body language!!! Enthusiastic paw 5 your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lot of commands, you are a very smart dog, Hawk! Thanks for sharing your advice...since we are just starting out with Luke, we always want new things to try and work on.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete